Employers Objectives and Works Overview
The BAIC Group (officially Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd) was founded in 1958. BAIC is a Chinese state-owned enterprise and holding company of several automobile and machine manufacturers, located in China and in other cities outside of China. Its principal subsidiaries include the passenger car maker BAIC Motor, the military vehicle and SUV manufacturer BAW, and the truck, bus and agricultural equipment manufacturer Foton Motor. Through joint ventures, BAIC makes Hyundai and Mercedes-branded cars for sale on the China market.
BAIC Automobile SA Proprietary Limited has appointed Beijing Industrial Designing and Researching Institute Co., Ltd (commonly known as BIDR) to implement the construction of the first stage of Phase 1 of the new BAIC vehicle manufacturing plant.
BIDR has divided the construction of Phase 1 (Stage 1) of the project into six main contracts. The first of the six contracts (Contract No 2) has been awarded to China State Construction. The following three contracts have been awarded to South African companies:
Contract 3/1, awarded to Scribante/Ibhabhathane JV
Contract 3/2, awarded to WBHO Construction
Contract 3/3, awarded to Ibhabhathane
Contract No 1 and contract No 3/4 have not as yet been awarded.
Overview of the Works
The land area for the BAIC development is situated in Zone of the Coega Industrial Zone, Port Elizabeth. The size of the land is 54Ha in size.
The Coega Development Corporation (CDC) was responsible for the development of a building platform across the whole BAIC site area. This work was completed at the end of 2016.
The BAIC development shall be constructed under two separate phases. The Works under Phase 1 comprises the building work and the infrastructural services but excludes the plant and process equipment, client signage and related items.
The facilities for Phase 1 (Stage 1) shall be constructed under six separate contracts. These contracts are:
- This Contract, Contract No 1: Paint Shop, Office Block and Bridge between Paint Shop and Assembly Building and Sewage Treatment Works;
- Contract No 2: Assembly combined Body Shop, Energy Centre and Oil and Chemical Store;
- Contract No 3/1:
- Test Track
- 1 Ml reinforced concrete reservoir
- 2 No 250kl and 1 No 100kl steel tanks for water storage
- Roads and hardstands
- Paving for parking areas
- Bus bay
- Signage and road signage
- Water reticulation and main water connection
- Firewater reticulation
- Sewer reticulation
- Oil Separator
- Sewer Tunnel
- Storm water pipe and channel system
- Traffic controls
- Cable Ducts
- Contract No 3/2:
- Building Work:
- Waste Centre
- Municipal Substation
- Main Guard House
- Secondary Guard Houses (2 No)
- Dispatch Centre
- Ancillary Site Works: Paths, paving, flagpoles, etc)
- Electrical, Mechanical and Fire Protection Works
- 11kV cabling and switchgear
- Main LV boards and sub-division boards
- LV cabling and trenching
- Electrical wiring, light fittings, etc
- Lightning protection
- Street and high mast lighting
- Sprinkler system
- Smoke detection and alarm system
- Ancillary electrical works
- Building Work:
- Contract 3/3:
- Perimeter fence, boundary walls and security and control gates.
- Contract 3/4:
- Stormwater ponds
- Water harvesting tanks and pipe work
- Landscaping and grassing
- Product parking concrete storm water channelling